Many exciting new things are happening on our campus!
- The Little Comet Pre-School is off to a wonderful start. Kudos to Mrs. Stubblefield and Mrs. Bridges for all the hard work that goes into the start-up phase of any new and successful program.
- Our HS students now have four Advanced Placement (AP) Classes to choose from and more will be added in the coming years. AP classes are essentially college level courses we can now offer on our campus “just like the big schools do.” A big thank you to Mrs. Benson, Mr. Collins, Mr. Kreutzer, and Mrs. Shaw for being willing to fulfill the summer training requirements for this endeavor.
- New scoreboards have been installed at both the baseball and softball fields thanks to a donation from Pepsi.
- Our safety and security renovations are now complete as is the additional sidewalk.
- We have added a second van to the school fleet. As of now, it still needs a nickname to match the “green bean.”
Additionally, we have had several individual accomplishments by various faculty members and students to recognize:
- Evalina Harper has been offered the opportunity to travel to Scotland for 2 weeks with her bag-pipe playing group to experience the Scottish Culture first-hand. This is a tremendous accomplishment by Evalina!
- Kudos to Mrs. Oesch and her Speech Department for the new recording on the answering service for Alton R-IV. If you have not called the school recently, please do so—the new recording no doubt sounds better than my gruff voice would have.
- Beta Club hosted a successful Red Cross Blood Drive in September collecting 19 units of blood.
- Mrs. Gilliland did another outstanding job organizing our College Fair, not only for our students but also for students from Winona and Couch who attended as well.
- Fiddler on the Roof was an enjoyable event for the school and community. My Compliments to the Drama and Music departments for a job well done!
- The Boys Cross Country Team recently won the Big Springs Conference meet at Eminence while our Girls Cross Country Team finished second. We are proud of both teams.
- All District and All Region Softball Teams have been announced and Alton R-IV was well represented. 1st Team All District included Hannah Brewer, Alex Mills, and Jena Woodside with Honorable Mention honors to Ashlyn Hufstedler. All Region selections included 1st Team honors for Alex Mills and Jena Woodside and a 2nd Team selection for Hannah Brewer.
- The Alton HS Chess Club recently competed in the Howell County Tournament and placed 2nd overall as a team. Michael Barton took home FIRST PLACE honors individually from among all players entered in the Tournament and Drew Hufstedler placed 4th individually! Very well done!